Thursday 9 November 2017

ways in which my life has changed, part 1

I now drink energy drinks. (Stroking my baby with one hand, clutching a can of Monster with the other was not an image of motherhood I had considered when pregnant but is now my reality.)

I think less about my partner and his needs and think all the time about what my baby needs.

I hardly ever leave the house. People visit me instead of me visiting them.

I don't give a shit about my job.

I take photos, regularly.

I can't read more than a couple of pages of a book at a time and only before bed. I had read fifty-five books this year before having a baby and have read two since the birth.

I think less about food. What I would cook for lunch or dinner used to be a major and enjoyable preoccupation, now I just care about getting something anything into my belly as quickly as possible so I can rush back to my baby.

Parenthood may have cured me of procrastination, a long-standing and often debilitating habit of mine. I was always leaving things to do manana manana; now I realise that leaving something until later means having to do it while dealing with a screaming baby or rushing to get it done on the way to a screaming baby. It's so much easier to do chores or deal with things as soon as I can (seemingly obvious but hard to manage life lesson finally learned.)




No comments:

Post a Comment