Wednesday 1 November 2017

halloweek

My partner and I always decorate our house for Halloween like the big kiddults we are; each year adding a few more decorations to our eclectic collection. I'm never quite sure what to say when people come 'round to the house who don't know us really well - I didn't invite a neighbour in because of what she might have thought of the decorations, especially as it was after October 31st so she might have thought it was just our normal decor and not realise that we celebrate the entire week. The plumber who we had to let into the house simply ignored them.

An old friend visited. She looked at Baby Ozzy and then around at our (un)living room. "You'll probably have to change the decorations as he gets a bit older". The Man and I stared at each other, realising what she meant: another aspect of parenthood we had not considered. But was it really necessary I wondered and looked around the room trying to see it from a child's perspective. My gaze landed on the fake severed foot next to the TV, the hand next to the record player, the stickers making the fireplace look like it was bleeding, the arm appearing from the fireplace clutching an axe, the creepy doll, the dog skeleton with light-up red eyes, on and on, the decorations screamed Child Unfriendly in a campy horror voice.

I don't know if we have another year left of our normal decorations. He will be 14 months old next Halloweek. When do children start to have nightmares?

No comments:

Post a Comment