Monday 23 October 2017

maternity clothes

My new year's resolution will be to give up reading the pile of shite that is The Daily Mail but in the meantime I shall double down and read it more than ever, especially articles like: 

Are these the chicest mums-to-be ever? The envy inducing pregnant women dominating social media with the snaps that prove you CAN be stylish when pregnant.

The headline itself sets the tone of pitting women against each other and it doesn't even make any sense. Why would I be envious of these women dressing well when they are 'proving' that pregnant women can be stylish?

Being chic wasn't at the forefront of my mind when pregnant as I didn't think that was an option for me due to the environment I work in and my body shape. My bump was not one of those cute high and round bumps that suit the wearing of tight tops or dresses, it looked more like the belly of a beer drinking elderly man. My main concern was budget and not spending too much money on clothes that would only be worn for a short amount of time.

I bought three loose fitting shirt dresses a size up from my normal size which were perfect for work and I'm still wearing now. I also wore a dress from & Other Stories  designed to be a loose fit and which still looks great post-pregnancy. Most of my other maternity clothes came from ASOS (a nursing top, two stripy t -shirts and a pair of joggers) or New Look (pyjamas, jeggings, over-the-bump leggings). Now that I'm writing this it feels like I bought a lot of clothes but they saw me through work, lolling about at home, a holiday and evenings out. It felt like money well spent. But chic? Nah, that's not my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment